Which Oil is Best for Cooking
Written by Nidhi
December 11, 2014
This article is on Neetu’s query. She wants to know what oil is healthy to use for daily cooking. When I read her query, I thought to myself that this time, I will go out to the stores, check out all the varieties of oils available, talk with the manufacturers and then do some research on them.
As planned, I went to a big retail store. As I stood in front of the aisle that had zillions of oils placed temptingly over it, my head started spinning. They were tempting because of the ‘healthy’ options available. One of the bottle of coconut oil declared that it has “pure” but “odorless”coconut oil. Bahhhhh!! I thought to myself, if I had to use coconut oil then why not I use the pure one with its odor. After all it will be better than the version which has been chemically treated to remove its ‘odor’
So I decided that instead of visiting the stores, I will talk with people from different regions and find out what kind of oils they have been using traditionally (not recently).
This is what I found out..
Acidity, Alkalinity of Food
Written by Nidhi
October 18, 2014
This article is in continuation to my article on What is a Balanced Diet. If we keep eating ‘healthy’ food all time then there will come a situation when there will be imbalance and hypersensitivity in our body. As in our body will start to throw up on eating street food. It will develop allergies from normal tap water etc
Our body needs balance, which does not mean that it needs to eat all types of food in equal proportions but which means that it needs to have all types of foods in some proportions. To understand that better let us first understand the concept of acidity and alkalinity. To understand this concept, we need to brush up little part of the chemistry that we studied in school
We know of hydrogen atom. It has one electron and one proton. When the electron leaves it then it becomes an ion(as shown in the image above). An ion which is hungry for electrons….
What is a Balanced Diet
Written by Nidhi
October 10, 2014
How are you? I strained my hip flexors last week so I was grounded. I could not even walk much. Tiger balm and hot water fomentation and a glass of milk with turmeric each day came to my rescue. Sometimes it is good to take rest especially when there is an injury which could heal only by resting
I used this time to read an amazing book on food. Today I want to talk about one subject that I think is dealt really weirdly in all the courses on nutrition science. The subject is Measurement of the nutrients!
I do not understand how do some people standardize the quantity of vitamins and minerals esp the grams of proteins for everyone? Does the number which they attach to this measurement takes into account that the vitamin A that we get by eating a carrot is different from the same amount of vit A obtained by popping a pill?
How to deal with Migraine, Constipation And Insomnia
Written by Nidhi
September 25, 2014
I got this question in my Fb Inbox, a few days back.
Hi Nidhi Please help me
I have migraine n insomnia for which i am taking treatment from neurologist.He has given me Amitop25 My problem is due to medicine its very difficult for me to get up early so i go for my walk in evg. I need a cup of tea to wake up in morning and dat also help bowel movements otherwise i face constipation problem. I have read and I know that waking up to tea is bad habit and whether its black or green tea. I m taking a cup of green tea if i dnt take tea i m not able to get up n i hv headache later in day plz tell me what can I do ?
I also take two cups of normal black tea later in day but that i try to maintain sufficient gaps between meals plz tell how can i solve this problem
I have been thinking how to answer this question. As in, the probable answer that anyone will be likely to give to this question is to ask from you to live an ideal lifestyle, which can not only solve this problem but can also solve any other health problem in this world. And it is not just I, there has always been someone or the other telling us to do this. A print media/electronic media/elders/doctors/fitness experts et all ask us to live an ideal lifestyle.
NYC Open Day with Rujuta Diwekar And Celebration of the Memories of Guruji at Iyengar Institute of New York
Written by Nidhi
September 23, 2014
I was excited to attend Rujuta’s open day at central park from the day I got to know about it. Although the tough part for me was to convince Mister Husband to come along with me to the Open day. He said, ” I am happy with my new lifestyle. I have already lost so much weight and I feel so energetic now. I eat home cooked food. I do yoga and running. Why else do you want to take me to the open day of a nutritionist? ” . I said that you will realize it once you attend the open day. I am sure there will be something worth it that you will come back home with.
Plus, I told him that I really want you to meet Rujuta’s partner GP (I expected he will be there too). From long, I have been following connect with himalayas, an initiative by GP. The places he and his group travels are breathtakingly beautiful. Anyways, we met G.P at the open day and I got super excited. I told him that my husband is very fond of traveling in the nature. So much that our travels after marriage from last 4 months have been so much of hiking, trekking, camping etc in some mountains or forests. GP smiled and humbly asked us to join his himalaya travel group sometime. Mister husband got curious, asked GP about connect with himalayas, came home, browsed it and got mighty impressed. We ordered GP’s book The land of Flying Lamas and I wish we get to trek himalayas soon.
Now the open day ..
Energy Fields of Food
Written by Nidhi
September 19, 2014
Is food just about Carbohydrates, fats and proteins? If it is so then why don’t the frozen potatoes or canned peas make us feel the same as a fresh version of them do. Or then why don’t yesterday’s curry, which was refrigerated for one day give us the same energy as it did when it was eaten fresh? It is because we take food too meanly and thus fail to understand its meaning. We take food as something which can either make us fat or give us proteins (muscles) or which we can either overeat or count and eat.
Sadly, we fail to understand it as something which is essential for our life processes. Something which has not just energy(calories) but energy fields also associated with it. May be this is the reason, we prefer to pick up enriched foods. Which are nothing but refined food which are later enriched with vitamins and minerals that were lost in the process of refining.
Let us today look at food in a different way…In a way of something which has life and thus which passes that life to me and you to let us survive!
Fitbit Flex Review
Written by Nidhi
September 13, 2014
This is the first fitness gadget of my life other than my phone. I have been planning to get a GPS watch from a long time. But I got this gadget as a gift on this birthday. I have been wearing it all time from the last 3 days now. It has some amazing features. GPS is one part of it with so many other features as well. Continue Reading
Does Lime Water and Honey Burn Fat
Written by Nidhi
September 10, 2014
Anamika asked these very interesting questions: “Hiii nidhi …wanna ask u one thing dear..1) Can I do yoga in periods?..
2. Is it so dat drinking lemon nd honey in cold water makes fat and in hot water makes slim”
Since childhood, I have heard this advice from so many people. I do not know when it started and who started it. Anyways, whoever did, I wonder if they really lost weight by drinking lime water and honey or they ended up with tonsils and sore throat after having it continuously for a few days? .
Lime is a simple guy which is rich in vitamin C and lime water is a simple girl which has an alkalizing effect when it gets into our body. They are really simple people you see with no magical properties of fat burning. But guess being rich in vit C and alkalizing in nature is what gave lime water a celebrity status .. Okay jokes apart
What are the Role of Muscle in Exercise
Written by Nidhi
September 6, 2014
Ramya asked this question a few days back:
First, the breathing technique while lifting weights is, breathe out while lifting and breathe in while dropping. Is this right? I am always confused and bug my trainer everytime.
Second: I got thinking after reading the bench press thing. If we do the 3-day-split with weights, like chest and triceps on one day, back and biceps on another, and shoulder and legs on the third, is it balancing enough?
Third: I wanted to ask u this ever since I read Rujuta’s new book. She says not to combine aerobic and anaerobic activity. But what about circuit training?! I do burpees in between weights many times in a circuit!! I tell u, that book confused me to no
Fitness Tips for Brides to Be
Written by Nidhi
August 30, 2014
This post is for all the Brides to Be. I have written on this topic in the past but this time I am finding it more enjoyable as I start to think of my life 4 months back when I was also a bride to be . The best part of that phase is enormous amount of pampering and attention that a girl gets. But the not so best part is that there is so much to do in a day.
I use to literally start my day with a checklist in my mind. There was shopping, talking, parlor, packing, friends, family, work etc etc. The most challenging thing while managing all of this was taking care of my diet. Whoever use to go shopping with me use to look forward to eat some crap in the market. I too use to look forward to eat out but only once in a while. Since I was out of home almost daily so I could not afford to eat out daily. Huhh! And the other most challenging thing was catching up on a tight 7 hours sleep. Either phone or family never let me sleep esp since I was in a long distance relationship.
Sharing some Fitness Tips for Brides to Be
1. One day I had to tell Mister that I will be putting my phone on vibration for continuous 7 hours for a tight sleep. For the rest of the time we can stay in touch
2. I use to take my small boxes and bottles to the parlor and market. Boxes had raw salads or fruit chats or berries like strawberry etc and bottles had lime and honey water. I use to put 3-4 bottles of honey and lime water in my car before I left home. No honey and lime juice are not any fat burners or do not help with weight loss. But they are amazing for the hydration of the body and skin.
So whatever be it. I always ate or drank, every 2 hours, from the tuck that I carried from home. I took my breakfast and dinner properly if I knew that I won’t be home for lunch.
3. I always gave some time to running or yoga and meditation. Mister got irritated sometime but I never skipped it whatsoever it be. So Hit the Gym not the Snooze Button for atleast 3-5 days a week. Workout in the morning and be free for the day.
4. Keep snacks handy. Keep them in your bag, drawer, car, wallet etc. This will save you from snacking on atrocious things like chips or biscuits . Keep handful of peanuts, nuts, chaana(Bengal Gram) or Amaranth balls(Chulai ke ladoo), fruits, butter milk, boiled corns, boiled eggs, sandwitches or home made snacks handy with you.
5) Sleep the beauty sleep. No compromise on your sleep is allowed. Sleep like all stress belongs to your relatives who are managing the marriage preparations . You just surrender yourself to tight sleep.
6) Stay hydrated. Okay by that I do no mean stay hydrated with a lot of booze . Use coconut water, lemon-honey water, bel ka sherbet, green smoothies, watermelon juice or water to keep you hydrated and beautiful.
7) Have your breakfast. Make it a religion (No skipping breakfast).
8) Pack up your Dinner max by 8 PM and relax for the next few hours you are up. No tension, no stress rather feel mushy mushy and go to sleep early . Basically boost the production of relaxing hormones in your body that will help you burn fat better. Also early dinner and early workout will start showing you results within few weeks.
10) Consult your doc and find out if you have any mineral, iron, vitamin
Deficiencies. Ask your doc to suggest a multivitamin or some natural source to take care of those deficiencies. Also eat freshly prepared, homemade nutritious food. Food, when eaten fresh, adds glow to our skin and vigor to our body.
The biggest bummer on a fat loss journey is the lack of vitamins and minerals in our body. Vitamin B(does not have any calorie of its own) but it is the most requisite vitamin for metabolism of carbs, fats and proteins. Lack of vitamin B means no fat burning. Similarly, Calcium of which most of the females are deficient is needed not just for improving bone strength but also, for fat metabolism. Please read my post All about Calcium
Milk, Calcium and Fat
Diet Plan for Brides to be
1) Have a glass of luke warm water after waking up.
2) Eat something fresh like milk, nuts or fruits within 20 minutes of waking up.
3) Eat every 2 hours.
4) Plan your Diet Chart a day before
I am not saying sit with a pen and paper and make a proper chart. But atleast have a clear idea in your mind that I will eat this at this time. So that next day, you can pack and carry things to office/market/parlor accordingly.
For example: Suppose you decide I will have jamuns as one mid meal, green tea, chaana, nuts as other. So next morning, you know that you have to keep your chaana, jamuns, nuts and a sachet of green tea in your purse.
5) Deal with your sugar cravings smartly
Have Dark chocolates and home made sweets. Have them as a single meal in itself and fix the days when you have them. Also eat them mindfully and slowly so that the sugar high stays with you for sometime and you do not end up overindulging.
6) Snacks to carry in your Bag
When you know that due to travelling or unavailability of food you won’t be able to eat ever 2 hours then carry any of these things in your bag. Dates, raisins, dried apricots, nuts, chaana, granola bar, butter milk, home made namkeen, fruits etc
Antioxidants are amazing for skin. Have fruits like strawberries, cherries or jamuns that are rich in antioxidants. Buy a box for yourself and carry them with you and have it as a mid day meal. Can carry Lime and honey drink also for antioxidants
A Sample Diet Plan
1) Luke water after you wake up.
2) A fruit(local and seasonal) or a glass of milk, within 20 minutes of getting up (No tea or coffee please)
3) Breakfast Within next 1 hour: Multigrain Parantha, Chilla, poha, upma, idli with chutney, dosa, Vegetable brown bread sandwitch etc(Something freshly cooked and something that you love to eat)
4) Mid morning snack, after 2 hours of Breakfast: raw salads, fruit chaat, a handful of peanuts, chaana, nuts, fox seed nut(makhana) with green tea. or have lime and honey water
5) Lunch after 2 hours of Mid morning snack: Dal, rice, roti, vegetable or dosa/ idli with sambhar and salad.
6) Mid day snack after 2 hours of lunch: A glass of Butter milk, coconut water, lime and honey water.
7) After 1-1:30 hours, when you come back home from office and are really hungry: 1 whole wheat toast with egg white or home made cottage cheese.
8) Dinner max by 8: Brown rice with dal and sabzi. Chapati(multigrain) with daal and sabzi.
By the time you have dinner, you should feel like not eating much since you have had food the whole day so you should prefer to eat light.
9) If you feel really hungry in the night can have milk with elaichi, ginger or turmeric. Whichever you like better or whichever suits your body better.
Keep drinking water through the day. Workout plan tomorrow
Feel amazing on your best day. I hope this helps..
Loads of good wishes